WHAT IS A NOREP/PWN
By Marie Lewis
Notice of Recommended Educational Placement NOREP & Prior Written Notice PWN
The NOREP/PWN is a school district’s written request to parents to approve or revoke consent for special education and related services.
The issuance of a NOREP/PWN is required by Federal regulations (34 CFR 300.300(b)(4)(i)) prior to the termination of special education and related services.
It is issued when there is a:
· Proposed initial provision of special education and related services (For this action, the school may not
proceed without your written consent )
· Refusal to initiate an evaluation (Must issue Procedural Safeguards Notice)
· Proposed change to identification
· Proposed evaluation
· Proposed change in educational placement
· Proposed change in the provision of a free appropriate public education (FAPE)
· Refusal to change the identification, evaluation or educational placement of the child or the provision of a
free appropriate public education (FAPE)
· Change of placement for disciplinary reasons (10 day continuous/15 days total)
· Due process hearing, or an expedited due process hearing, initiated by school/district
· Graduation from high school for a special education student
· Exiting special education and/or related services
· Exiting high school due to exceeding the age eligibility
· Extended School Year (ESY) services
· Response to request for an independent educational evaluation (IEE) at public expense
· Other changes
A NOREP/PWN provides :
· A description of the action proposed or refused by the school district.
· PWN as to why the school/district proposed or refused to take the action. PRN must be issued within a
reasonable period of time. A reasonable period of time is defined as ten calendar days.
· A description of other options that the IEP team considered and the reasons why those options were r
· A description of each evaluation procedure(s), assessment(s), record(s) or report(s) used as a basis for the
proposed action or action refused.
· A description of other factors that were relevant to the school's/district's proposal or refusal.
· A description of the educational placement recommended for your child is:
o Amount of Special Education Supports/ Continuum of Placements:
Itinerant support in regular education <20%
Supplemental special education >20% - <80%
Full-time special education class 80% or >
Approved private school (only for some states)
Out of district placement (private school)
o Type of Special Education Supports:
Learning Support, Life Skills Support, Emotional Support, Deaf or Hearing Impaired Support, Blind or Visually Impaired Support, Speech and Language Support, Physical Support, Autistic Support, Multiple Disabilities Support
· Denotes parental approval or disapproval of the proposed action.
· Documents of reason for parental disapproval.
· Denotes a request for
o Meeting with school personnel
o Mediation or
o Due Process Hearing
· Includes RESOURCES for parents.
Copyright 2015 Marie Lewis